Wednesday 15 September 2010

Cupboards need a sort out

On Monday I found myself with a poorly little bear, rushing to make tea, so the projected tomato sauce did not get made. I rummaged in the cupboards for inspiration.

I found some rather elderly jars of cook-in sauces, donated to me by darling uncle and not twentieth century issue. They need to go. I also found a jar of sweet chilli sauce which I couldn't manage. The diced chicken (from the freezer, bought on offer, and defrosted with a view to the pasta) was stirred in and successful for darling father and OH. Little bear didn't want anything at all.

I was a bit concerned about the lack of sauces, as I had stocked up last time there was an offer on Sharwoods sauces (some time ago), and so without really processing I went on Mr Sainsbury's site and added some of the bought cook-in sauces that were on offer to my weekly order.

Two things are now apparent. Last night I did mince with plenty of onions, some frozen veg and a tin of minestrone (next time stock cube, water and brown sauce instead of minestrone). It was really pleasant. Almost anything I make from scratch is going to be cheaper than bought, and often nicer. What I need is to have things in the freezer and cupboard that can be thrown together quickly.

Today when I put the jars away, I couldn't fit them all in the cupboard. This is not good. On one hand a certain amount of re-organisation will sort out some of the problem but on the other hand, I need to start using up the stuff in my cupboards. I really need to start using up.

I need to sort, list & plan. If that ever happens I will let you know.

No comments: