Tuesday 7 September 2010

I am definitely a bad mother

Last night little bear woke up, upset because he said his nappy was leaking. I gave him huge cuddles, changed his (very full) nappy, changed his pyjamas and his sheet (which didn't really need changing as he hadn't leaked, but he was only half awake and distressed). All the way through I was frantically trying not to need the toilet as my tummy has been off the last few days. But I didn't really mind, poor mite was in a right state. Of course I couldn't get back to sleep so I was so tired this morning...

Little bear wanted to 'do painting' this morning. This is not something I enjoy as I am never sure how to help him. I never really 'did painting' myself, so I just encourage him to enjoy himself and supervise. Little bear, however, loves painting (he insisted) and especially loved painting now that darling uncle has given him a box with paints and sponges in. I insisted that we painted after we came back from town. Little bear tried to convince me that the town was shut, but I remained firm. However just after I had mailed OH to keep him informed, darling father rang, so I chatted to him while I was on the computer. My 'mummy sense' told me little bear was not in a good frame of mind but I was too tired to check.

This was a mistake. I looked round and little bear had got the paints out of the box, squeezed them out and was stirring them up in what was marketed as a paint tray but looked like a cat's dinner dish. I opened my mouth to start the usual 'What do you think you are doing?' when I had to go to the loo. I HAD to go, nature didn't just call, it shouted. I told little bear firmly to put the bowl on the lid of the box and not do anything until I got back. I didn't expect him to listen.

When I returned, little bear had been adventurous, painting pieces of paper everywhere. He had painted a picture while leaning a paper against a fabric chair, he had painted a picture while leaning the paper against a recliner and of course he had painted with the paper on the carpet. I could tell. Paint was dramatically swiped everywhere. But not on little bear's clothes. He may have completely ignored my insistence that all painting was on a table with a cloth on the floor, but he remembered his painting apron. It landed with a splat in the bath when I dragged him upstairs to scrape off the paint from his hands and face.

I am not impressed but I do feel a little guilty because he did want to paint so much and I was really not looking forward to painting in the afternoon. We will do some painting tomorrow. Properly set up! I think I may try and get him to paint cereal boxes etc. It has to be better to do that than scrape paint off the furniture.

3 comments:

Ian said...

I have to say I have a similar attitude to yourself when it comes to painting and crafts. I look at the kids' craft materials and think, "wouldn't LB love that?" However, then I go onto thoughts of, "what on earth are you supposed to DO with all those bobbles and spangles and goodness knows what that you get in those packs?"

I'm sure there's a book somewhere that gives easy instructions on what to do with them.

Morgan said...

I'll join you in this - I am also a bad mother if that is your definition! I haven't got a creative bone in my body as far as arts and crafts go - I can cook/bake, knit and garden and that is it. I don't paint, sew, crochet, cut and stick etc - so you have my sympathies entirely.

There used to be some great paint you could get that they could paint with in the bath!! Saves all the mess as they paint the tiles around the bath and then you clean it all off when you clean the bath - if there are any masterpieces, just photograph them!! Wonder if you can still get that stuff...

Don't know what is causing the upset tummy but if it is IBS like me, try to get some rest!

Please don't feel that you have to do everything with LB - they should be doing some of this stuff with him at nursery, so do the things you LIKE to do - mine picked up on me trying to do things I hated, and they soon realised that it made me cranky! I hate HATE board games (bored games!!) so I don't play them with my kids, but I do give them opportunities to play them with friends and family who DO. Much better all round.

Hugs x

Morgan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.