Sunday 12 September 2010

New neighbours

Across the road at the side of us is a block that used to be a Co-operative, back in the nineteenth century. Now it is partitioned up to a sandwich shop (excellent), pizza shop (very good, with a city wide reputation), a curry house (untested) and a hairdressers (they cut little bear's hair and are very good about it) on the ground floor.

The owner of the building has spent a fortune and at least a year converting the upstairs into flats. We have had sand blasting, we have had nerve jarring thunks as they have thrown junk out of top windows into the skip below, we have had a skip permanently stationed there, we have had men in high vis jackets standing round and looking into a hole with anxious expressions...

Friday and yesterday we had removal vans. I didn't stop to watch as some young girls and a removal van tried to work out how to get a sofa in through a window, I couldn't contribute and I didn't think an audience would help.

I'm quite looking forward to having more neighbours. I don't expect I shall see a lot of them, but it is nice.

No comments: