Thursday 20 August 2009

Dithering again

I had an unexpected call from my sister in law. She and her family are working very hard, so I don't really expect many calls.

She is having a 50th birthday party next month. We are invited (but it is an evening do, so not little bear) and there is a Hollywood theme.

It is really kind of her to invite us, but you know what I am like. I could immediately see the downside. If I could have more of a 'glass half full' attitude I am sure most of my problems would disappear.

First of all - find a babysitter. No problem, the nice Mrs Next Door will do it. She has six children, several grandchildren and will indulge little bear just enough. The last time I left little bear with a baby sitter after tea time was in March 2007. It was last year, and I think early last year, since I left little bear with anyone but dear heart and nursery.

Secondly - I really don't know if I have the courage to go out to an evening do. The last evening do I went to was in 2005, and the time before that was 2000. Both occasions were when I knew all the people and I was calm about who I would be meeting. The thought of it terrifies me.

Thirdly - what the hell am I supposed to wear? Seriously? Obviously I will have to wear clothes. But a Hollywood theme? I am a larger lady. My figure is ample, built more for comfort than speed.

I was up really late last night looking at ebay (my friend) for inspiration. I saw some nice kaftans. I also saw some things that no 'big boned' lady should ever contemplate even considering wearing, deary me, there is being comfortable in your skin and there is making a holy show of yourself.

Eventually, in the early hours, I decided that I could use some rather nice slinky material trousers that were a relic of when I worked, some killer sandals that I bought on an inexplicable impulse earlier this year and I could look round the charity shops for a glittery top. Also I could get a manicure (near me there is a relatively inexpensive shape and polish) and see if I could get a pair of black button earrings the size of saucers.

Dear heart will also have wear something nice, but I wonder if it would be worth him renting a tux?

No comments: