Wednesday 5 August 2009

Lucky black cat

I frequently have my path crossed by a black cat. The cat in question is pure black and is evil cat's gentleman caller, Oscar. Oscar likes to pop in on the street, look around, check out how things are going. Also I suspect the mouse count is better. However he crosses a hugely busy dual carriageway from the home of the daughter of the Nice Next Door neighbours to here. He obviously thinks it is worth it.

I was really struck yesterday what a handsome devil he was. Now, Oscar obviously is well aware of it as he struts along the street, but he really does look wickedly good. He turned to me to give me the full benefit of his golden stare and I was impressed. He is a 'done' tom and not unduly large but his face is that of a panther. It was so striking, the beautiful eyes, the square muzzle and the aristocratic bearing. Having seen the size a tom can get to, I sometimes wonder if the sightings of big cats are due to the close kinship of the feline tribe. If Oscar had just been a little larger I would have had doubts about him being a domestic cat.

Evil cat was upstairs asleep and so missed her gentleman caller. She is actually a very small tabby, but her attitude is certainly up there with the Beast of Bodmin.

No comments: