Saturday 15 August 2009

Stopping the shopping

Before the washer dryer went west I was toying with the idea of the Tefal Jam maker. It is a lot of money, but a lot safer when it comes to boiling sugar. Little bear has just discovered the joys of a jam sandwich (thanks to nursery!), so jam is actually being consumed in this house. And it is a gadget. However, I decided to do some sums.

I would have to buy fruit and sugar, though of course I would re-use jars already in my possession and would make the discs by cutting out circles from greaseproof paper.

According to the Lakeland site, 1kg of fruit and 1kg of sugar makes around three and one half pounds of jam.

1 kg of basics strawberries at Mr S is £4 and 1kg of sugar (at the cheapest price) is 84p. Ignoring the electricity and lemon juice that is £4.84 for three and one half pounds of strawberry jam. But I can purchase very acceptable strawberry jam at 99p per pound from Mr S, or roughly £3.47 for three and one half pounds.

If I got access to a glut of cheap fruit, and if little bear became completely addicted to jam sandwiches, then perhaps I would revisit the idea of the jam maker.

No comments: