Wednesday 5 August 2009

Little bear is feeling better

Little bear is two and one half and still in nappies. I am sure that to many that makes me a Bad Mother, but I am waiting until he can clearly tell me when he needs a poo, and at the moment his speech is still a bit erratic. In fact, waiting another six months seems fine to me so that he can have a clearer understanding of what is going on.

However, he is still in nappies and we have a former biscuit box that contains wipes, nappy cream, bags and witch hazel. I have recently started wiping his legs with witch hazel, because you will not believe (unless you have also had an adventurous toddler boy) how bruised his shins are getting.

Today dear heart and I sent little bear to his room. He was sitting there looking exhausted, and dear heart and I were exhausted. Little bear was coaxed, cuddled and marched upstairs. We relaxed. Until we heard a dreadful wail...

Well, we shot upstairs and little bear was beside himself, but at first we could not tell why. Then I noticed that the nappy box was still in his room and the witch hazel no longer had a top on it! I shot over and frantically started reading the back of the bottle for warnings while dear heart sniffed little bear's mouth to see if he had drank any.

Little bear is fine. As far as we can reconstruct his actions he carefully took the lid of the witch hazel, took the bottle across the room, put a splash on his chest of drawers, took the bottle back to the nappy box and then became distressed because he couldn't find the top. This all fits with no smell of witch hazel around his mouth, only a small amount of liquid missing from the bottle and this amount could be accounted for on the top of the chest of drawers. I have absolutely no idea why he decided to do this, but I am desperately reassured that he is feeling better.

I have not been able to google anything about witch hazel being poisonous, and it is not in my 'Wordsworths Guide to Poisons and Antidotes' but I think I shall have to restructure when and how I treat little bear's bruises.

2 comments:

Morgan said...

I'm wih you on the toilet training - the longer you leave it, the easier it is, I think, because they seem to have a much clearer idea of what it is they are trying to achieve. Younger daughter did it herself - "I'm wearing pants now" and never had an accident of either kind, and the elder took a couple of days and didn't have any problems after that.

Morgan
x

Wannabe Sybil said...

Morgan - thank you. I just want clearer communication before I start. Little bear, being little bear, will probably sort himself out!

Do you know, I think he is training me sometimes. WS x