Friday 14 August 2009

Young Ones

After I dropped little bear off at nursery yesterday, I went into town. This is the first time I have left him at nursery and been more than five hundred yards away. I was feeling a little low, but was immensely cheered up by a group of youngsters in their mid to late teens busking. They had amps and guitars and a drum kit and were playing, of all things, Move It. Many years ago I was quite sweet on Cliff Richard so I know that the song that they were playing was released in 1958. Probably when their grandparents were youngsters. It made me smile for that as well as the tune. Of course, it is now out of copyright, so that is quite good as well.

Then a bit later on I saw a bar welcoming soldiers back and offering 20% off on production of the Forces ID card. Years ago that would never have been seen. I was really touched. I think our Armed Forces do desperately difficult jobs in dreadful circumstances. I may not agree with war, but I will never fail to support those sent.

I am not sure if I have correctly quoted Kipling, but I think this quote is more or less right, and very insightful. "It's 'Tommy this' and 'Tommy that' and 'chuck him out, the brute', but it's 'hero of his country' when the guns begin to shoot."

No comments: