Wednesday 22 June 2011

How one thing leads to another

I had promised myself no more knitting magazines except the ones subscribed to, which are Christmas presents.

But on holiday I bought a magazine 'because I was on holiday' and bought Knit Magazine. Knit Magazine had a very interesting article on how to knit socks with custom sizing.

I can't knit socks. Double pointed needles are my enemy.

But it was such an interesting article, and I could really use bedsocks as my feet are notoriously cold, and the next magazine with part two of the article was coincidentally hitting the shops the next day. So I got the next one. The article was very interesting indeed.

However, it referred to casting on the socks using 'Judy's magic cast on'. I had never heard of this but it sounded intriguing as I am still using the cable cast on that my grandmother taught me when I was eight. But nowhere in the magazine did it mention how to do it - no mention anywhere of how to do Judy's Magic Cast On.

I was resigned to looking it up on ravelry when my subscription to Simply Knitting arrived. According to an advertisement in there, this month's copy of 'The Knitter' has an article on Judy's Magic Cast On.

So today I am actually making a journey to go and purchase 'The Knitter', as it is not on sale in the local shops and is not only far too advanced for me but also has projects that seem to take up far too much time, just so I can read about Judy's Magic Cast On. I could probably still find it on Ravelry, but where's the fun in that.

Also, part three about the socks is in Knit Magazine next month. Of course I will be daft enough to buy a magazine for an article (again a journey as it is not available locally) about something I don't knit.

I shall let you know how I get on.

3 comments:

ravylesley said...

Sybs if you google Judys magic cast on it throws up quite a few videos of how to do it.So no need to buy the magazine

Lesleyxx

Wannabe Sybil said...

But where's the spending fun in that... When I have the energy I shall be doing exactly that. And the knitter magazine has lots of absolutely mouthwatering patterns - too hard for me! It's for the best that the magazine wasn't there. Also, thanks WS x

ravylesley said...

I can hardly comment after spending a small fortune this week on 2 orders from AF's and another one from Big Brands for Less!! Cupboards are overflowing and still I look at the website and have to convince myself it isnt a bargain if I dont really need it lol