Saturday 4 June 2011

A Night Out!

OH and I had a night out together. It is becoming quite a habit. Since little bear was born, four and a half years ago, we have been to two work's Christmas do's and his sister's fiftieth birthday party (which was mandatory). Tonight we went to the Methodist Chapel with darling father. Darling father had bought tickets, but he wasn't sure what for.

So we scrabbled around for babysitters. My sister in law is a good candidate. She lives less than a mile away, adores little bear (mutual) and doesn't usually go out a lot. Unfortunately she couldn't make it, and I think she was a bit fed up because she couldn't. Also I don't want to make her feel like she has a duty to babysit. Some people seem to live their lives at the beck and call of other people's children. I told her we could meet up when it was convenient for her.

So I called my brother. I wasn't sure about that. He lives quite a way away, and it seems unfair to drag him out. He has also done a lot of running round after darling uncle recently and has been very active with decorating. It seemed a bit hard to take over his Saturday night. But he came, with his dog.

First of all little bear was overjoyed with the dog, who instantly found all the crumbs that my housekeeping had missed. They cuddled and played and little bear gave best dog treats. I cooked black lamb again, with a potato dish which I got from the Pauper's Cookbook by Jocasta Innes. You very thinly slice potatoes and layer them in a buttered oven dish, sprinkling fragments of fresh rosemary and bacon and garlic between the layers and then pour over cream. It is very toothsome. Best dog managed to snaffles some lamb.

Then evil cat appeared from upstairs and was unimpressed that a hound was in HER house. There was a woof and a bark and quite a bit of hissing. She ran into the study. Now all other cats that I have known would be in a place of hiding - under, on or in something. Evil cat was poised in the middle of the study carpet. I think she couldn't he bothered. She got shut in the kitchen, with comfy cushions around, access to litter tray and a dish of salmon. She didn't appreciate the salmon.

Little bear apparently was as good as gold and had two stories and best dog had a snooze on his bed as little bear went to sleep.

So I now feel a little more confident that we can leave little bear.

No comments: