Wednesday 29 June 2011

Shopping

OH's hard earned wages went in today. So I started spending.

Car tax was the main one. I am glad that has been done. What with the price of petrol, the car is a very necessary expense, but still expensive. I need to build up a bigger contingency fund. Do to luck (and nothing more) we have never had a car loan. OH learned to drive after he was entitled to a company car, so that was his first car. Then, due to luck and nothing more, we managed to pay cash for a little Suzuki Swift that ran on fumes sometimes and was a lovely workhorse. I miss that car, but it only had two doors and it was really coming to the end of it's life when we got our current car, at the end of 2007 when little bear was nearly one. Again, through good circumstances and not planning, we managed to pay cash for that. The car has run lovely (apart from the new gear box with all the ice a few years ago) and isn't dear on fuel. OH's driving isn't dear on fuel, either. But oh dear it is expensive to keep filling her up. Regardless, I really want to build up enough so that we can pay cash for our next car, hopefully in quite a few years time. I love our current car.

I won't build up much of a contingency fund while shopping like today. First of all I bought a large universal steamer as the one I have for my stove is just not big enough to do potatoes for all of us on the bottom and veggies on the top. Then new nail scissors - I have been putting this off for a while but my old ones are leaving my nails ragged. And a very inexpensive set of snips to use while knitting and that hopefully will not be 'borrowed' by little bear cutting out. Then there was the needed new mattress cover for little bear, and the new phone as my handset doesn't currently work and I am paying a fortune for unlimited calls and can't make any.

Then there was the inexpensive freezer lock - certainly not proof against little bear but a good reminder to ensure the freezer door was shut, as I am sick of losing food. I indulged in a pattern for knitted boots and a flower loom (neither expensive) and an inexpensive bundle of clothes from my friend ebay for little bear.

Then I stacked up a supermarket shop for delivery tomorrow, including lots of stuff for the freezer. That is an expensive shop. And there is an Approved Food delivery booked, but I have not ordered that much, mainly the flapjack bars that little bear and I like for breakfast sometimes.

I need to put in a Lakeland order for cereal containers (plus anything else that happens to fall into my basket). I am racking my brains, I think there is something else but I can't quite remember. I am sure it will come. Also big birthdays are coming up.

I think really that the rest of the month I need to keep my finger OFF the 'buy' button.

No comments: