Thursday 14 January 2010

Should I or shouldn't I?

I am not a keen gardener. Au contraire. On the other hand I am the most enthusiastic gardener in the household, though dear heart actually does more. Little bear has yet to try and eat worms.

Last year I didn't do v well, but even I would probably have done slightly better if there had been fair weather. However little bear managed a few tomatoes.

You see, for me, growing things in a garden means veggies. I am not sure where this instinct comes from - my parents had a very nice garden with flowers in. My mother didn't garden much. Darling uncle has a huge garden, and he grows veggies, so perhaps that is where it comes from.

Besides, I want little bear to see what it is like to eat food you have grown yourself.

So, in a garden smaller than some American cars, I plan to grow some tomatoes, some peppers (half way decent weather and they will come through) and some runner beans up a fence (not expecting much from them). And some herbs.

I don't have safe window sills. Any window sill laden with pots with seeds in is destined for an early visit from evil cat or little bear. Possibly evil cat being chased by little bear. So it makes sense to buy plants rather than seeds. Though little bear and I will be doing our best outside with a pot, some radish seeds and some spring onion seeds.

I could order the plants from Dobies now. But for once my spending button isn't primed. I suppose it is partly because underneath the snow, slush and ice there is a lot of rubbish to clear up. Sigh. Five minutes a day would have that garden pristine. I am confident some American houses have bigger bathrooms. And by the time you take into account a flourishing rosemary, a rather feeble rose, a buddleia (sp?)which has the vigour of its kind and has to be hacked back in lumps, an extremely hardy, spreading hydrangea, lack of light and a lot of concrete, well, how much room is there?

Well, there is definitely room for tomatoes.

4 comments:

Morgan said...

Personally, I would recommend dwarf or French beans in a pot, as they are my favourite and will grow well in pots. Much easier to pick than runners, too!

Morgan
x

Wannabe Sybil said...

Morgan - I have been looking at a variety called Hestia, which is beans in a pot. But there is this tempting fence, in somewhat of a sunny position, currently suffering from Russian vine... I think sweet peas would go very well there, on reflection. lol WS x

Hard up Hester said...

Hi Sybil, just check that sweet pea pods aren't poisonious if little bear can get to them, I grow some stuff in my garden & the grandchildren love to help eat what I've grown. I make sure everything is safe incase they try to sample the wrong stuff.

Wannabe Sybil said...

Eek!

I have grown some honeysuckle, and I am now considering rooting that out - but I never thought of sweet peas! Thank you for the head's up Hester, especially as I have encouraged little bear to eat tomatoes straight off the plant! Also my experience is that little bear can get to everywhere. WS x