Thursday 7 January 2010

Weather continues cold

I am in a warm(ish) house, with heating and light. With my track record of slipping in the snow, dear heart has asked me not to go out.

We are running low on a few things. Dear heart didn't like me stockpiling, but now it is a bit awkward for me as I don't have a very good store cupboard.

Tonight we are having soup made with a ham bone, split peas, barley and onions (very Anglo Saxon) with home made bread. The soup is in the slow cooker. If little bear carries on being an imp of mischief then we have have to settle for crackers instead of bread.

The hardest thing is that we have run out of fresh milk. We have some UHT, but I haven't had a chance to check it, because little bear would never permit me to go out of his sight. Hopefully I will get a chance to check it when he naps (if it happens). It has been there for some time.

4 comments:

Morgan said...

Do you need enough to warrant a supermarket delivery? I too am reluctant to go out, but I have lots of stuff in stock, except for the milk, like you, as my elder daughter has taken to drinking it lately, so where a litre would have lasted a few days, now we're using it in less than two. We have also run out of ketchup, but they will have to live without that!! I am doing the school run twice a day for the younger daughter, so I will get some milk this afternoon.
Perhaps DH could be given a list of requirements to bring home?

Wannabe Sybil said...

I normally have a supermarket delivery on a Wednesday, but 'due to the weather' they are unable to deliver. Darn. Actually I cannot blame them at all. Our road is something of a tank trap in the best weather!

Dear heart is bringing some things home, but the drive to work yesterday took over three times as long. I can't ask to much from him. He is being a hero as it is.

And we are also running low on ketchup, which is a staple in this house!

I think I have powdered milk 'somewhere' and little bear is going to be shut in his room fairly soon as he is completely beyond himself at the moment. This will give me a chance to rummage lol.

This is actually a great opportunity for me. All I need to do is enjoy it - seeing what I can do with the bits and pieces and odds and ends. WS x

Morgan said...

I have been out this afternoon and got the milk but the village shop only had "Daddies" ketchup, which is not liked here, so there will be none of that for a day or two! It has been snowing for a good hour this afternoon and the village roads are treacherous now - glad to be home, safe and warm!

Wannabe Sybil said...

Morgan - I am glad you are home safe! Here the ketchup is Heinz or Mr S, no other!!! No snow here, but no thaw either. It could be a lot worse. WS x