Wednesday 3 October 2012

Do not Diagnose

My darling uncle is lovely, really lovely.  He is a man with a heart the size of Wales and out for all he can give.  I love him to bits, I really do. 

Unfortunately I came very close to snapping at him today.  I have intermittent heart failure.  It has been diagnosed by blood tests, it makes a lot of sense of previous symptoms and the current big symptom of massively swollen hands and feet due to water retention (though fortunately no pain).  I see the consultant in November.  I had to go back to my GP and I am on water tablets to try and clear fluid from my lungs and they have allowed me to breathe a little better.  So, definite test results, symptoms consistent with test results, referral consistent with test results.  And I had had a nightmare last night about all the problems that were stacking up. 

Darling uncle was explaining to me that actually it probably wasn't heart failure, it was gout.  I changed the subject.

But gout??!

I could take to drink, I really could.  Mind you, then I probably would get gout. 


5 comments:

Morgan said...

I feel for you - and hope that the consultant can do something more substantial to help you when you see him.

I find [some] men can be very imaginative with symptoms when they feel like it, so I understand how frustrating DU's comments must be.

Big hugs - and hoping that LB is feeling much better now too xxx

Wannabe Sybil said...

Thank you so much for the hugs - definitely needed!!! I am sure all will be fine. As for little bear, he is being little bear to his very utmost! lol! WS xxx

Kitty Greene said...

I expect he means well .....
re Gout though, my son was diagnosed with it - early 30's, tall, slim but muscular, not overweight, very fit, no other health problems thank goodness, very active, doesn't drink/smoke, runs his own business so always on the go - so who knows where that came from !

Witch Hazel said...

Actually, gout isn't related to drinking, that's a myth. It's a form of arthritis, where crustaks build up in the joints (that's not 100% accurate but it helped me understand it). My sister in law suffers from it and has done since her thirties. My DH suffers as well. However, gout is incredibly painful, like your joint is going to explode with pressure...so it's unlikely to be what you are describing (imho).
Good to hear you have a diagnosis, hopefully after November you will have a treatment plan to help you manage it. Hope the clutterbust is going well in the meantime. Hx

Wannabe Sybil said...

Thank you for the hugs, really appreciated. It was just the completely random ailment which seemed to have nothing to do with the symptoms. Darling father does get gout, it is incredibly painful (which my ankle isn't). I couldn't possibly comment on how much he drinks! WS xxx