Thursday 4 October 2012

Is it only me?

As far as I can tell from local over-the-fence type talk, I am the only one who uses all of the settings on the washing machine.  Okay, perhaps not every single one every single day.  I have only used the setting for silk once or twice (hand crocheted blankets) and I very rarely use 'mini wash' as I tend to either get a decent wash together or I want the small amount of washing to have a good swish. 

It may not seem it, after the disasters I have recounted on here, but I like to take a pride in my washing.  I carefully consider the balance of washing programme and temperature together with washing powder, stain remover and white vinegar, to try and get the best out of my bottom of the range Hotpoint.  I have actually had surprisingly few disasters considering I actively go looking for washing and even if something has only been worn briefly it still tends to go into the wash.  And I very rarely (honest, despite what I have written in the past) have a problem with grey whites, stains or marks.  I suspect it is because I use a relatively expensive powder (on offer) but also I tend to go for longer washes at lower temperatures and avoid tumble drying.  I have been told, and believe, that the greatest energy cost with a washing machine is heating the water.  That is why the dial is usually firmly set at 30 degrees unless it is for a particular purpose, like towels or sheets - or if I put on a 'boil' wash at top temperature with an empty drum to 'flush out' the washing machine.  I did this last weekend. 

The few washes I have done since have been low temperature ones anyway - the trusty 40 degrees synthetic wash that covers a lot of ground.  However today I put in a load of white shirts for little bear and OH and put it on a '1' wash which is cotton 90 degrees, extrawash wash.  I usually do this at 30 degrees with an extra shot of stain remover, just to tackle the odd bit of staining.  Today I forgot to check the temperature dial. 

I have checked one of OH's shirts on him, and it hasn't shrunk, so that is okay.  And all of little bear's shirts have plenty of 'growing' in them so as long as they haven't shrunk much then they should be okay.  I also suspect that the heating element on the washer is a bit suspect.  The 'ready to wear' setting which is supposed to wash and dry within an hour (and even tumble dries if you have the drier function set to zero so if I want a really quick wash I have to use Quick Wash at 50 degrees, which is a bit longer and not quite as thorough) doesn't tumble dry any more.  However I have yet to try ironing them. I really don't want to try that.  It could all have gone horribly, expensively wrong if they are now permacreased to be as crumpled as cornflakes. 

When I get my courage up to iron them, I will update. 

No comments: