Thursday 11 October 2012

Tracking the pennies

Last year little bear's school required @ £150 for 'asks'.  That is, non uniform days, sponsorship, book days, school photos, trips etc.  This year I am keeping a running tally on my blog. 

Last year we were first stung by the 'design the Christmas card at home and then pay to have them printed for you' game.  That was around £15.  This year little bear just said he didn't want to.  He was not interested in doing it, not at all.  I decided not to fight this battle.  Now the Harvest Festival is looming, so I have bought a large bag of pasta for little bear's contribution.  The donations go to a homeless shelter which also supports vulnerable adults.  Pasta is easy to cook, easy to store, can cover a multitude of sins and most people can eat it - so it was an easy choice.  Then the school supports another school for the disabled in Vietnam.  So a 'voluntary' donation is required for that.  There will also be a collection at the service and of course I am going!

I begrudge none of these expenses.  We are so very, very blessed.  I do feel that the least we can do is give a little back.  I do begrudge the insidious drag of a pound here, 50p there, etc.  Which reminds me - I need to find the sheet to subscribe to little bear's school newspaper - only £3.00.  Except that it does become another £3.00.

And to put it into context, I have just gritted my teeth and booked little bear a party at softplay.  He asked and asked for it, so he is getting it, on his birthday, just next to Christmas, in the most inconvenient local soft play but the one with the biggest slide (size matters).  The last party cost around £150.  I suspect that though this party is cheaper per head than last time, there will be a lot more coming.  Little bear, however, will love it, and we are lucky enough to be able to spare the money.  No matter how much I grumble, we are blessed.

I should also add that there will be the carol service which will need a donation, almost certainly some presents for the staff, I have already paid £25 (really gritted teeth) to attend the martial arts Christmas party, then there is the two parties little bear is due to attend in the next month, and so on and so forth.  It still we be a small fraction of the party and presents for little bear.

On top of that we did pass the MOT, but need two new tyres, I have just paid out for a dishwasher (woohoo!!!  £175, and worth every penny!) and I can see my fridge and freezer may need replacing very soon. 

I have lost count of the number of times I have tried to work out budgets and then wandered off away with the fairies.  I have lost count of the number of times I have been determined to cut down and then splurged.  However I do seem to be getting a little better, I think I need to do a proper, serious, budget - and stick to it.  After all, little bear is not going to get any cheaper to keep!

1 comment:

Morgan said...

Read my post today for some ideas that might suit you for record keeping - or at least give you food for thought whilst you sort out your own methods. This whole keeping track thing is vitally important - even if you blow the budget, you need to know by how much it is blown!!