Monday 15 October 2012

Not a brilliant day

Little bear is still a bit run down after the tonsillitis, which he himself has forgotten.  This morning he was still asleep at 7am.  I wasn't.  I was woken up by a text telling me when the dishwasher was going to be delivered - between 3pm and 7pm.  I sighed and turned over to go back to sleep.  I nearly jumped out of my skin when the phone went at 7.15.  That was the automated phone call telling me that the dishwasher would be delivered between 3pm and 7pm.  I sighed and got up. 

Of course, I panicked again when the phone went at 8am - but that was when the delivery driver who was delivering the dishwasher rang to let me know that while I had been told 3pm to 7pm, all bets were off as the van had broken down. 

I trudged over to the GP, who seemed happy that I was going in the right direction.  Then I trudged out to B&Q to get the widget to plumb in the dishwasher.  Nice Mr Next Door said he would help with that.  I then 'accidentally' walked into the Aldi next to B&Q and came out with some non-need goodies (which will keep and will be rationed), a ball of yarn that was a lot more than I expected and that I definitely didn't need and two sets of scissors, which actually I could do with.  Although given their price I should have scraped together four or five times their combined cost and got a decent pair.  I use scissors a lot in the kitchen. 

None of the buses wanted to play going to and from B&Q.  I spent more time waiting for buses than was reasonable.  It would be a bit of a stretch to walk to Aldi from our house, but doable if I didn't have to cross stonking great motorway slip roads.  It was a frustration to me that I spent £2.50 on bus fares when theoretically, if it wasn't for the risk of huge lorries at 70mph, I could have eventually walked it.  That is, for the same journey, £1.50 there, £1 back.  I have no idea why, I just smiled and paid. 

By the time I got home I realised why I couldn't have walked it even if the slip roads were not there - I was just about at the point of collapse.  However there was a space cleared for the dishwasher and I had little bear's lunch supplies coming in an Asda delivery before 3pm.  Darling father wasn't well, and he went off to get a sleep.

At 2.55pm I rang Asda customer services (who were very polite) and explained that my order hadn't arrived yet, and if it didn't arrive in the next fifteen minutes I would have to go out to pick my little bear up from school.  The lady was lovely, but it took her a long time to find me, I had to spell out everything to her (definitely my accent at fault, it is very mixed up and hard to follow on a bad connection).  I checked the time on my mobile as I hung up (15.07), putting my coat on as I flew out the door, asking Nice Mr Next Door But One to sign for anything that arrived. 

Of course the van had arrived when I was out.  I had a clear view of my road for at least five minutes before I actually got into the door and rang the number on the delivery card three times before I checked the computer which had the time (recently synchronised due to age) at 15.26 to get the customer service number again.  I didn't mind (much) that the van driver hadn't allowed Nice Mr Next Door to sign for the groceries.  He didn't know that my neighbours are lovely.  What I did mind is that he had put on the card that he had been sat patiently outside our house from 15.02 to 15.17.  I know it was only finessing a few minutes, but it was so needless.  He was probably there 15.10 to 15.15 at the outside.

I rang back to Asda customer services who were, once again, lovely, and I did something I have never, ever done before to a customer service rep.  I burst into tears.  I never cry, not when I am in pain, not when giving birth, not at all.  I think I am still a bit poorly.  I felt dreadful for the poor customer service lady and apologised through sobs.  She gave me a free delivery and a £10 credit (which made me feel very guilty) and promised that she would do what she could.

Actually someone probably called the van driver who came and dropped the stuff off at 6.30pm.  He was apologetic, unloaded everything and zoomed off.  I didn't have the strength to find out if the re-booked order due to be delivered between 12-2pm tomorrow is still going to happen.  If it does, the budget will be even more hammered, but all but the milk will keep.  

The dishwasher did arrive, on time, in one piece, and it looks far too big for the space on the counter, although OH did measure and it should be fine.  Tea was home cooked and tasty (inexpensive beef from a farm shop, with lots and lots of fresh veggies, tinned tomatoes and some sneaky red lentils in there for some healthy protein boost.  I served with herby dumplings and it was very pleasant, and inexpensive).  The day ended well. 

I can't wait for tomorrow.  Hopefully the dishwasher will be plumbed in and I can start using dishwasher tablets, and I shall be on pins seeing if Asda deliver again.  And hopefully I shall have a few less tears. I am still baffled about that.

No comments: