Tuesday 20 November 2012

Another change

I have started wearing makeup.  This is actually a big deal for me, as I haven't worn it for years.  I usually managed a smudge when I was working, but that was because it was part of 'looking smart'.  Really I haven't pushed the makeup since, well, probably twenty five years. 

However something seems to have clicked in my recently.  I am not exactly sure what, but wearing makeup again seems part of it.  Once upon a time I loved my make up and wore a lot of it - I wore New Romantic makeup with stripes and stars and all sorts.  My poor darling father always had a bit of a problem with it - and he never saw the more outrageous stuff!  However, that was then. Now I had to go out and buy some makeup. 

My first reaction was, 'How much?!?!'  Then I had the bitter realisation that I was of an age when perhaps my old favourite Rimmel was not entirely age appropriate.  However I have always loved Rimmel, and I know that they have been anti animal testing for many, many years, so despite it being ridiculously young for me I bought the most subtle mascara, eyeliner and lipstick that I could see. 

The mascara is fine, a bit stronger than the mascaras I remember, but that was some time ago.  The lipstick is my old favourite Heather Shimmer which I would probably wear until they bury me.  The eyeliner is a bit of a problem.  I just want a bit of a smudge.  The one I picked up is a lovely soft smudgey kohl type thing that I would have adored when I was 18 but couldn't get hold of in those days.  However that was nearly thirty years ago.  My first attempt looked very much like two flies had crashed in a bowl of flour. 

I am now back to just a smudge, just to get my hand in.  I may save up a little and get a course or something on how to use makeup, and look on YouTube.  Things have changed a lot since the New Romantics, not least all the different things that they have now.  I will see how things go.  I lost half a stone last month as well.  It may well take me three years at that rate to hit my realistic target weight, but actually, that's okay. 

I wonder what else will start changing before I realise it. 

2 comments:

Morgan said...

Congratulations on the weight loss! and the make-up - well, all I usually manage is a quick swipe with the eye liner, and perhaps some lip balm so I am out of touch with it too!!

Wannabe Sybil said...

Thank you! I am on an unusual weightloss programme - I try and eat less and do more. So far it is working. WS xxx