Tuesday 27 November 2012

Worried about a cat

The people who used to live behind us (who were lovely) had a lovely apricot and white lady cat, who suffered from the attentions of the ginger gentleman. This cat now seems to have returned.  I have noticed her around and about but not really thought anything except, 'I wonder if I can find the new address of the people who used to live behind?'  Then I would be distracted by something and would forget. 

Today as I came back with little bear from his martial arts lesson, I was mobbed.  Several children of several ages came running up to let me know that the cat had a kitten, and it was in That Landlord's garden. 

I managed to convince the kids to not disturb a cat with a kitten.  I don't think that is ever going to be the safest thing you can do.  But then I started worrying.  A cat with a kitten, with a bit of sense, can find a lot of very comfortable places on our street.  There are plenty of nooks, crannies, bolt holes and hideaways and plenty of those are near air vents or heating pipes, or even the sewers taking away the warmer water from all the houses.  And as the street is over run with mice then the mother was unlikely to starve - indeed, she was looking very trim.  I could convince myself that if they could find a dry hideout then they would be fine tonight. 

However tomorrow night could be a different matter, with hard frost forecast.  I was seriously considering tempting the apricot cat and her kitten into our house for some warmth and food.  This was a serious matter, as evil cat is still sulking after coming second in the fight with the vet, but I couldn't let a cat and a kitten stay out in the freezing cold. 

I consulted Nice Mr Next Door, who knows about these sort of things, and also everything that is happening on the street.  I didn't want to act without speaking to him as two of the children were his grandchildren and a rescue mission may have already been mounted. 

I might have known - apricot cat is safe in a warm(ish) shed, being fed by at least two sets of people, and the kitten is old enough to run around and find a safe place by itself if necessary.  Cats can often land on their paws.  However I am still considering trying to coax her inside.  The weather looks set to be cold, and it can't be right to just abandon a cat or a kitten.  I know evil cat will go off like a weapon of mouse destruction, but I am not sure what to do for the best. I can joke about evil cat's reaction but she will find it very traumatic.

I shall speak to Nice Mr Next Door again tomorrow. 

No comments: