Wednesday 21 November 2012

Chilli Vodka

Welsh Poppy -  you are probably a lot better than I at anything like this.  However I will risk giving you my very rough and ready methods and I am sure you will be able to improve on them.

Chilli vodka - I get an extremely inexpensive bottle of vodka.  Normally I use the original bottle but I have also used nice bottles from IKEA which I give a really good clean - I can now put them through the dishwasher to sterilise.  If I use the original bottle I decant some.  I then get three or four fresh chillis and wash them really well, trim the tops and make a few slits in the sides of the chillis so that the fiery stuff that makes it chilli can get out.  I slip the whole chillis into the bottle and top up with some brown sugar and any spare vodka left.  I do this because my neighbour has a sweet tooth and the sweetness helps smooth out the flavour slightly. If you use red chillis they can keep their colour quite well.  I don't like having seeds loose, I think it is a choke hazard. 

I give the bottle a really good shake and keep it for a few weeks.  My neighbour really likes this and now insists on it for Christmas. 

I have also crushed werther's originals and put them in vodka, giving a good shake regularly, and have produced toffee vodka (dilute with milk).

I would love to hear your recipe for lemoncello if you are okay sharing?  And I hope you find this useful.  My neighbour says that it is quite strong and really fiery, but I think with tomato juice it could be quite the thing - my neighbour drinks it with cola, but he drinks everything with cola. 

I have never tasted it, as I am not that keen on strong drink these days and I don't like anything spicy.   I don't usually admit this.

No comments: