Sunday 18 November 2012

Little bear goes to church

Ever since little bear asked whether there were toilets in heaven I have been keen to take him to church, so I have someone to refer things.  Today was finally the day, and OH gave us a lift to the church where little bear was Christened.

Little bear looked so solemn and serious.  Anyone who didn't know little bear would have thought him a serious child, perhaps a little worried about what he may find or whether people would be kind.  My experience of little bear said that it was likely he was carefully weighing up the situation for the best way to beat the system. 

It is a lovely, friendly, working church.  It is a place where asylum seekers can go, it is having a Special Needs Service next weekend, it is a working church that includes all - I think this is wonderful for little bear to be around.  I want him to be able to reach out.  And it usually means a better time for all.  Little bear was quite happy.  We sang a few hymns, the children in the congregation got noise makers from the front and little bear gave a very enthusiastic accompaniment with a tambourine.  Then he went off, all on his own, to a Sunday School group.  I sat in for the first five minutes (over protective mum here), and I heard them mention the 90th Psalm.  Little bear was sitting there looking solemn and serious (that is, weighing up who was what and how to charm them, in my experience) and I nervously left them to it. 

Little bear came tumbling out afterwards, he had enjoyed it, he would go again, it was fine.  I managed to shush him during the blessing and then we went to wait for OH.  OH asked little bear what was the best bit.  Little bear didn't need to think too hard.  In his opinion the best bit was the two sweets he got at the end of the Sunday School group. 

It's a start.

No comments: