Wednesday 14 November 2012

Feeling like Scrooge

Lesley - I can't help but feel you are right.  However split between his Christmas and birthday are at least seventy books, a desk, a LARGE collection of stationery (planning on picking up a few more bits on top), a scaletrix-style cycle racing thingy (darling father), a dozen cars, transformers in quantity (sister in law), four dinosaur models to make, ben10 lamp and lampshade (on order), ben 10 blendy pens (? - but on order), the usual sweeties and some puzzle books not included in the above book total.  That is before we get into what my brothers get him, our neighbours get him and the extra stuff that darling father hasn't yet disclosed (two carrier bags yesterday).  There is also any loot he brings back from his birthday party, which is actually on his birthday this year.  His pal had a birthday last weekend and came home with four different remote control cars, one of which was bought by us but at least we put in the batteries for it.

 I should also add that I don't insist anyone gets him stuff.  I have always said to friends and family that any presents to little bear are strictly optional.  Two years ago his godfather got him an amazing lightsabre that he still plays with.  

I know that little bear will have a mound of stuff by New Year's Eve.  But I can't help thinking that perhaps I just should pick up one or two extra bits... But he has so many cars, a garage, a cd player, more toys than is good for him, no room really for a railway or fort and I am not sure he would use them, he has a bike, a scooter - so much stuff!  He seems either too young or too old for so much.

And I am a bit ashamed, but I feel a tiny niggle that I know that others will be getting him so much that if I get loads then it really will be too much but I want to get him goodies and I feel that that has sort of been taken over.

And then I think, but if it was just Christmas or just his birthday that would be fine, but this is for both...  I think I may get one or two bits. But then I will worry he is too indulged...

I'll let you know how it goes

 And yes, at least seventy books.  Thats 70, the number between 69 and 71.  

Edited to add - it's no good.  I will have to get him some more stuff, just little bits, but it is birthday stuff as well as Christmas.  I know he would get a lot more if his birthday was in June.  

1 comment:

ravylesley said...

Sybs I have always thought that being a Christmas baby must be a pooey thing to be and if it was one of mine I would be having a mock Birthday in July.Not as bizarre an idea as you would think as it would be less guilt invoking for the present giving as it spreads it out over the year and is a better time of year for a Birthday party.Then on the real Birthday I would give a token gesture present wise as after all they have been inundated over the Christmas period with them

I have always believed that Christmas is a memory that our Children will carry with them for the rest of their lives and should look back with fondness and if we cant spoil our children outrageously once a year then when can we and hang the practical nature of it as Christmas and practicality are polar opposites

As for the 70 books jeez Sybs I have suspicions that LB is going to grow up into a Librarian lol

Lesleyxx