Wednesday 21 November 2012

Trying again

Operation Christmas Clean is back on.  It is officially starting Monday, as I currently have a HUGE amount of self pity and a cold.  I felt less self pity when I was suffering with chest pains.  The chest is fine now, apart from the very minor cough. 

Last year was fairly disastrous, but I am quietly optimistic that this year will be slightly better as what I manage to do seems to have more to do with my mental state than my physical condition.  So this week will be strategy and tactics.

The strategy of 'just do stuff' doesn't seem to work.  I could, I suppose, try doing a blog setting out how to do 'Operation Christmas Clean' but I don't actually know myself, so that would be a little bit hypocritical.  Also, realistically, my physical resources aren't as good as they could be.  I am working on that.

I think I will add on things like all the Christmas to do stuff on my list.  I need to sort out all the presents (most are on subscription or 40% proof), work out food and treats, dig out decorations and try and plan who I see when. 

Of course, there is also the minor problem that whenever I decide to do anything I always seem to find myself doing something else as a matter of urgency. 

I think week one, that is, the week starting 26 November, is going to be kitchen, dining room and walk in cupboard.  They are the biggest jobs.  That is a deep clean of the kitchen, a clearout of all the ironing (which is currently a vast mount again), and a big and necessary clearout of the walk in cupboard, which I have been using in the past as a pantry, but currently is too blocked with 'stuff'.  It is a massive job.  Everything else can more or less get by with a bit of help in the weekends.  As I am the one who uses these spaces I am not only responsible for them, but I really don't want to be trying to find stuff that has been re-arranged by someone who is kind enough to help. 

The preparation is that this week I shall be attacking the ironing, which will make more room.  Day one is making an inventory of all the food and cleaning stuff stashed away.  I will sort Christmas cards in the breaks.  Then I will assess.  I shall also record - so I can do the same or better next year. 

So, that's the theory.  I shall see how I shall do. 

2 comments:

Morgan said...

Good luck. I started slowly yesterday by cleaning all the fronts of the kitchen cabinets down. I may never get to the insides of the cupboards before Christmas, but at least the fronts are clean!!

Wannabe Sybil said...

At least the cupboards look clean, so that is something - and more than I have managed today! WS xxx