Wednesday 27 October 2010

Clutterbusting before the campaign declared

I think the idea of Operation Clutterbust has been simmering for a while. It is not so long that I cleared out the cupboard under the sink, removed all the hazardous chemicals and relocated them, but importantly, I got rid of anything I didn't want or use and I put all of the same thing in the same place so that I wouldn't buy any more of the produce until I actually needed to. Okay there was a bit of a blip when there was an offer on Vanish in Approved Foods but I'm not perfect. I use Vanish for all sorts, including soaking stubborn pans and toilet bowls.

I have started thinking about the stuff that is lingering around. I have looked at things and thought, well, one day I might actually get round to doing something, but that day hasn't happened for several years, so let's just walk away from the idea and get rid/use differently.

Today has been another little bit of a nudge. I moved the heap of dirty clothes and found some material. I had struggled to find curtains for little bear's room. I bought the material (matching the thread perfectly which is impressive as material and thread both came from ebay) and made one curtain. Then I caved and bought some curtains which don't fit and are best left scrunched on the windowsill overnight or they hang over the radiator.

Our cushions are in desperate need of replacing/renovating. It is now economically appropriate to make rather than buy. I had just ordered a stack of cushion covers from ebay (very inexpensive) to fill with unravelled sweaters to be sourced from the next jumble sale or charity shop bargain bit. Machine knitted sweaters are best for this. I also have this stack of material. Should I hang on to the material to make further cushions, as we could do with plenty more? Hmm.

If they are not done before Christmas the material goes. That should focus my mind.

No comments: