Tuesday 5 October 2010

Soap Opera Street

Morgan - I would love a woodburner. There are loads of old pallets and bits of wood around, and less than 200 yards away is a place that sells logs. Darling father always has at least one newspaper per day which can be squelched and scrunched to logs and what with all the packing and cardboard that comes in this house it would be extremely inexpensive to run, I think. It would really heat the bones of the house, the chimney goes through two bedrooms and little bear and evil cat would adore it. I just don't think we can afford it this year. Sigh.

Yesterday I went out for darling father's paper. As I was wandering along in a little world of my own on the way back the lady from next door but one flew out. 'Do you see this black eye he's given me? Do you see it?' She demanded. Apparently there had been some unacceptable comings and goings and when she objected he had hit her.

I just stood there doing a goldfish imitation as she let the man know in forthright terms what she thought of him. Before I could gather my wits enough to say, 'do you want me to call anyone?' she had stormed inside. By the time I had got in she had come out again and was being very animated on the phone in the street. I told darling father that the police would be here in twenty minutes, but was only fifteen before they turned up.

Today she had someone official looking in a van calling. I have no idea, and actually I am not sure I want to know.

I hope she is going to be okay.

3 comments:

Ian said...

I suppose all you can do is keep a weather eye out in case there's further trouble and let her know that she's not alone? Ongoing domestic violence is very isolating for the victim.

I'm afraid I take a very old-fashioned view of these things. Only cowards deliberately hurt people who are physically (and emotionally) weaker than themselves. When our Darling Grandfather was a Policeman, the common practice was to arrange for men who hit their wives to have an 'accidental fall downstairs' in the police station.

Failing the Police being involved, if the woman's husband and brothers found out about domestic violence, it would usually be pointed out to the husband physically, sharply and painfully that he shouldn't do it again and he can expect another visit to casualty if it ever did happen again.

Hey-ho! The good old days, eh?

Wannabe Sybil said...

Ian - I think the man in question was taken away by the police, with the drug dealing allegations as well it is probably unlikely he will be around. I would have called the police for her, but she seemed to have it well in hand. Thank goodness. WS x

Ian said...

Glad your neighbour seems ok. That's a good thing to hear.