Wednesday 20 October 2010

Feeling full

I have just had a Mr S delivery. My kitchen is full. It is so full that I wince when I see it. Every cupboard is full. Every surface is full. There are packs of savoury rice, naan bread, tins, jars, boxes, all stacked. An Approved Food order is on its way, and the walk in cupboard, which acts as a kitchen overflow, is full. The fridge is full, the freezer is full and there is a mound of veggies on one counter, spilling over from a trug that I use for onions etc.

I am feeling stressed and tired, which leads to yarn shopping, with a kilo more on the way to me. There is a mound of yarn and half finished projects behind my chair. Thinking as clearly as I can remember, stashed in the junk room, which is supposed to be turning into my room, is enough yarn to fill three four drawer full sized filing cabinets - at least. I may be underestimating. Plus there is the 'how to crochet' magazine which I have collected religiously and only opened the first one. Plus a stack of yarn in darling father's room, which is full and needs emptying for his stuff.

Then there is little bear's room. Little bear will be four a few days after Christmas. He will not part with any toys, and he is not particularly rough on his toys so few get broken to throw away. He has mounds of toys, heaps of them. He has at least two hefty storage boxes filled (or should be filled - permanent work in progress) with toy cars. There are sticker books, there are cuddly toys - all indispensable. There is a heap of plastic tat from magazines. Downstairs, for safety, is an assortment of poster paints, brushes, paper and pens/pencils/crayons. In fact, there is a box twelve inches by six inches by four inches deep full almost to the brim with colouring implements.

The desk I am sitting at is filled with 'stuff'. There is stuff piled in corners, stuff under beds, a heap of old clothes from little bear, bedding, towels in the dining room.

I am feeling a bit overwhelmed. I declare Operation Clutterbust

1 comment:

Ian said...

It sounds like my allotment at the moment - overflowing with weeds.

My only tip is to pick one bit to clear up each day. Decide on one thing - a cupboard, a set of drawers, a bookcase or whatever, and do that each day.

It's the only method of doing things that's got me to finish anything - write a list of tasks that I can tick off. It's also how I keep myself from filling up with despair when I look at the sea of weeds that is my allotment. By picking one area and doing that I don't get overwhelmed and I feel like I've actually accomplished something at the end of the afternoon.