Wednesday 27 October 2010

Inadvertant Clutterbust

I had bought, from ebay of course, a rather splendid blue pottery dish with plenty of holes in to use as a fruit bowl. It was almost working, there was a better chance of fruit being eaten if it was in a bowl upstairs rather than in the kitchen.

Operation Clutterbust is closely related to the dirty nature of my house. It will be so much easier to hoover if I could find the floor. As I am pursuing that, I went to wipe an accumulation of dust from the fireplace (normally hidden by fireguard, little bear's chair in front of it and a multitude of rubbish on the top). It is said that from dust we come and to dust we shall return. I don't know if someone was coming or going (as per the old joke) but there was enough to build a rugby player.

Alas, when I moved the fireguard the fruit bowl fell and smashed, pottery fragments everywhere.

Now, do I pursue keeping fruit easily available upstairs? Do I fossick and find a similar bowl to use? Or do I use it as an excuse to take little bear to Headingley? Headingley may have cricket and rugby, but it also has an eclectic collection of charity shops. Some of them aren't chain store clones and you can have an enjoyable rummage. That is extremely tempting.

Do you know, what I think I will do is do nothing. If it proves better to get a fruit bowl then I will look in my cupboards first. If I do have to purchase one, then I will consider one that might be more likely to bounce.

1 comment:

Ian said...

"I have started thinking about the stuff that is lingering around. I have looked at things and thought, well, one day I might actually get round to doing something, but that day hasn't happened for several years, so let's just walk away from the idea and get rid/use differently."

Bingo! The secret to clearing clutter. This also goes for breadmakers, sandwich toasters, and other gadgets etc, etc, etc, that you haven't used in the last 2 years that are cluttering up the kitchen.

Basically, if you haven't started a project in the last 3 years, you're not likely to get around to it anytime soon, are you? As much as we hate to admit defeat, sometimes we just have to face reality.

At the moment I'm finding the idea of an exercise bike to ride whilst watching telly very seductive. However, I already have a home exercise machine bought with the same idea in mind that I use about half a dozen times a year. Can I really justify buying a different exercise machine?

PS If you're heading to Headingley, looting through charity shops, can I come too?

I have a solid green plastic picnic salad bowl that I use for fruit that I got for £3 from Asda. It does the job and it bounces. I did have a very beautiful glass one, but it was the first thing that broke when moving house a while ago.