Tuesday 12 October 2010

I hate sweets

I am not sure about keeping the gate across little bear's door now he is getting older, but it had its benefits this morning.

At 7am I heard little bear pad across to the gate. I am only half awake. 'Muuuuuummy. I love sweets.'
'Well, when Daddy goes to work then we can go downstairs, have breakfast and then you can have your sweets.'

We always have the same routine - I go to the bathroom, get dressed, get little bear changed, then downstairs, always after OH goes to work so that OH gets a clear run at a hard time of the morning.

'Muuuuuuummy. I getting hungrier.' 'Well, we can have breakfast after Daddy goes to work.' 'I don't like breakfast. I getting hungrier.' 'Well, what do you want?' 'I love sweets.' 'You can have sweets after breakfast. Would you like cereal?' 'I don't like cereal - not at all!' Pause. 'Muuuuummy. I getting hungrier.' 'Well, we can have breakfast after Daddy goes to work.' 'I don't like breakfast. I getting hungrier.' 'Well, what do you want?' 'I love sweets.' 'You can have sweets after breakfast. Would you like porridge?' 'I don't like porridge - not at all!' Pause. 'Muuuuuummy. I getting hungrier.' And repeat.

OH went to work at 8am. The usual time. That little bear knows.

The sweets in question are a small bag with a 10p mix which he would have had if he hadn't run into the road last night. So we managed to compromise on flapjack (I was pretty desperate) then the sweets.

Yesterday I received an Approved Food Order with bags of white chocolate animals in. They are still ready to go downstairs. Little bear looked at me like a Victorian match seller and pointed to the bag. 'I want them.'

I just looked at him for a long minute. There were so many things wrong with this I didn't know where to start. In the end I decided to just stick to 'If you can be good for an hour you can have ONE.'

This hour was reset when he refused to let evil cat upstairs even after I mentioned that good boys let cats upstairs. He then started to nudge evil cat with his foot. I was so cross. Little bear has been told time and time again that he has to be gentle with animals. Yes, it was evil cat who savaged my hand yesterday (you could almost see the scratch), and he was nudging pretty gently, but that was not the point!

Please can this phase pass soon!

4 comments:

Ian said...

Thank goodness you get your supermarket order delivered! Can you imagine this phase in the supermarket? Eeeeek!

I remember thinking that he didn't whine as much as some kids. I may have spoken to soon.

Naughty Little Bear for annoying Evil Cat. If I was Evil Cat I'd leave half a dead mouse in his bed. Of course, Evil Cat wouldn't care that you'd have to clear it up and have to comfort a traumatised Little Bear!

Witch Hazel said...

Well done Sybil, for sticking to the plan.

He's testing boundaries, and giving in now will set the pattern for the rest of his childhood.

And when you're gettig stressed, remember the mantra "This too shall pass."

Wannabe Sybil said...

Thank you for the massive hugs!

If evil cat scratched him I would tell him it served him right. As I have in the past.

'This too shall pass... This too shall pass... This too shall pass... This too shall pass... WS x

Wannabe Sybil said...

Ian - also he doesn't actually whine as much as some because it doesn't get positive results. However he is tired, still a bit under the weather (and probably sickening for the next thing...) and it shows.

Nursery thinks he is brilliant and really well behaved. I must be doing something right. WS x