Monday 16 May 2011

Not quite sure about this.

Asda delivered. A young man opened up the van, got the first few boxes out and stood there looking at me. I don't get the boxes into the garden - I am militant about that. I will lug stuff up and down stairs, but not into the garden. In perspective, he had to move the crates four feet.

Well I am usually fairly chatty (adult company!) and comment on the weather. He asks what I am doing in the afternoon and I say relaxing with my little bear at nursery.

I am finding it hard to have general chit chat, as he doesn't seem to 'get' what I am saying, but that isn't unusual. I know I witter on. He asks me if my husband is working and what he does. I start feeling uneasy.

After all is unloaded he asks for a glass of water. I offer him a can of cola that has just been unloaded, but he said he would prefer a glass of water. So I give him a glass of water - in the garden.

It just seems odd. All my instincts are telling me that it is odd. And I can't quite put my finger on why. He seemed perfectly reasonable, if a little odd.

However at my age I believe in trusting my instincts. There was no way he was coming inside the house for a glass of water, or anything else.

I had already planned for Sainsbury to deliver groceries next week. I feel a bit more comfortable about that. I just wish I knew why.

4 comments:

Morgan said...

The key to this is how YOU feel. If this chap is making you feel uneasy or uncomfortable or in any way threatened, you have the right to be cautious and do exactly what you did - keep him out! These chaps don't usually expect to come into the house, although I know one supermarket says that they will deliver right to the fridge door, I think - they don't get further than the hall in my house - and I always get deliveries in the evening when it is cheaper, so there is usually someone here with me when they come. I think his questions were intrusive and were of the nature that would make one uneasy anyway as if he was establishing whether you were alone. You are absolutely right to be careful.

Hugs.

Wannabe Sybil said...

Thanks Morgan - looking back there was a lot of sort of 'are you available?' sort of stuff, and I am not young and glamourous, more an opportunity. He also said that he was on his last delivery of the day.

I may be over thinking, and I wasn't rude, but I was feeling glad when he went. WS x

Unknown said...

Hello Sybil - Reading this made me
feel uneasy. You did the right thing. Instincts are usually right. Hope you feel calmer as the day goes on. Enjoy your Little Bear when he comes home from Nursery.
I agree with your comment to Morgan that it was a 'are you available' sort of comment.
We may be Mums with busy Husbands, but that does not make us easy targets for this sort of behaviour.
Kindest Wishes
Lorna

Wannabe Sybil said...

Lorna - thank you. I have been having my groceries delivered since 1997, and this is the first time I have felt this uneasy, which goes to show that there are more nice people than nasty. I shall forget all about it, but thank you, I do feel more comfortable now trusting my instincts. WS x