Tuesday 3 May 2011

Onion Pie Recipe

This actually worked quite well for me. It is a recipe from a book called 'The Humble Crumb' by Elizabeth Jones and the book focuses on using up leftover bread.

Onion Pie

6oz (175g) breadcrumbs, 2 large onions finely chopped, 2oz (50g, half a stick) butter or margarine, 400ml (2/3 pint) milk, salt and pepper.

Generously grease a pie dish and line with breadcrumbs. Fill with a layer of onions, salt and pepper to taste, pats of butter and a further layer of breadcrumbs. Continue in layers until all ingredients are used, finishing with a layer of breadcrumbs. Pour the milk over the top and cook in a hot oven (Gas 6, 400F, 200C) for 1 hour, when the top should be golden brown.

Next time I do it I will leave the dish to stand for a while before cooking, to allow the breadcrumbs to take up all the milk, and I will put something like sage or parsley over the onion layer.

The author of The Humble Crumb has a lot of interesting recipes, which I plan to try, but she does use a pressure cooker a lot and I got rid of mine because I was scared of it.

2 comments:

Witch Hazel said...

THat sounds really interesting WS, thank you. I used to be scared of pressure cookers too...but I now have a Kuhn Rikon one (like the one in the L*keland, but a bit bugger as I use it to can bottles of home made cordial), which isn't scary at all Not that I'm trying to tempt you, I was just interested in your comment about being scared of your PC.
Hx

Wannabe Sybil said...

I shall, of course, check out the L*keland one, but after all the spending it may have to wait just a little.

What a hardship, a reason to read the Lakeland catalogue again, lol! WS x