Friday 20 May 2011

Still not managing old style

I have just dragged in three loads of almost dry but rain dampened washing. Sigh. I am in too much confusion here to have places to hang.

I now have huge pieces of fleece in the washer. I wonder how safe it is to tumble dry.

Takeaways are too frequent in this house and a huge piece of (too tough and not very tasty after all) beef was found to be mouldy before it was used up. And you wouldn't believe the snack food that seems to be coming in and disappearing.

On the other hand, the little box containing squares of newspaper is now a fixture next to my bin. In the past if I have been scraping out greasy pans etc I have used kitchen roll. Now I use pieces of darling father's old paper, and I can't think of a better use for the Daily Mail.

I finally decanted the very basic shower gel into a pump dispenser (from the last lot of handwash) and I have really liked it. It was Sainsburys basics and it has a lovely apple scent. I now need to refil it and I was wondering how much I would really save with some pleasant looking hand wash at 59p. The basics shower gel from Sainsburys was 10p. I'll go with the basics shower gel.

Perhaps the most interesting development involves darling father's whisky bottles. He isn't drinking quite so much at the moment (although all bets are off if Liverpool are playing) but we do accumulate quite a few glass bottles over the week. It is really hard for me to recycle them, as the bin men don't take them, and it is hard for me to get them to a recycling point. However I found in my excavations a kit for bottle cutting. It cuts the top off bottles and you then have a glass/vase/container etc. Also possibly a candlestick. Now that darling father is a stalwart of the Methodist (non-drinking) church he can recycle his whiskey bottles into vases to sell at the Christmas fair. Add a few transfers and some glass paint and they could look very nice indeed.

I hope to eventually get there.

No comments: