Thursday 3 November 2011

Evil cat and food

Evil cat is still looking a bit straggly but getting lots of fun out of life (sitting on my chest when I'm having a coughing fit is her version of fun).

The vet asked us to give her the special medical type diet, formulated for dicky kidneys. Evil cat did NOT approve. She was just picking at it, and she lost so much weight that the pad of fat behind her eye dwindled and she ended up with her eyelids curling in, irritating her eye and giving her an eye infection. So we started giving her the occasional treat of tuna in spring water.

The occasional is now daily, one small tin of ethical tuna in spring water. Since she got the painkillers she has also been stealing (and I've let her) and begging so she has had a supplement of the medical food. She has forced some of it down. If you have seen a cat reluctantly forcing itself to eat inferior food you will know what I mean - it is a dramatic performance worthy of a film.

The medical food is running low, and I was considering how much to order. The vet in the summer did not expect her to last twelve months, and there are days when she is extremely creaky and grumpy, as well as a lot of good days. She has always been just fluff and malice and now she is even slimmer.

I am considering not re-ordering the medical food but getting normal cat food. It would be the high end, posh stuff, the stuff that is really good for her and full of actual food content. Even the posh stuff is cheaper than the medical food. If I thought she would tuck in to the medical food I would happily spend the money, but most of the medical food is being licked, sniffed, a few mouthfuls eaten and then just ignored as she holds out for tuna. Also, a diet of pure tuna is not good for her. She needs a wider spread of vitamins.

Then I ask myself what sort of person I am that would not get the proper diet cat food. I think it is a person who wants to get some more weight on the cat and let her eat. I am still thinking about it, but it is so hard to know what is the best.

btw - the experienced vet who was starting there when we first went in 1990 said that the main thing was to get the cat to just eat something. I think that has been preying on my mind, as evil cat is certainly not eating much of the medical stuff.

2 comments:

lorna said...

Dear Sybil I think that you should let Evil Cat eat anything that she desires. It just makes us happy to know that our dear pets are managing some food - this is what I used to do when our cat Rory was advancing in age and very poorly.
Hope you feel better soon.
Take care
Lorna

Wannabe Sybil said...

Thank you. At the moment I am happy for her to steal actual meat based food, but I am trying to keep her away from the honeysuckle. Bless her, she's been the most normal cat I have ever met with food, so I guess I should just let her get on with it. Evil cat would thank you as well, especially if I was persuaded for the really posh food lol! WS x