Wednesday 16 November 2011

More spending

I went into Leeds and I now feel a bit of a sourpuss. I went into the Museum to see the West Yorkshire Hoard, and I was just amazed. It is a very small collection of gold but to me, seeing something so beautiful and so old is stunning. I wondered at the story behind it, who made the rings and who wore them, whether they were gifts or trophies or displays of power and wealth.

Leeds Museum's cafe lived down to my expectations. It's sort of more or less okay, but I keep going back to the rarebit and I always regret it. I was not tempted by the Guinness parkin and the Dandelion and Burdock chocolate cake, and I don't recommend the maple and pecan cake either. I also bobbed into the gift shop and succumbed to a junior dictionary and thesaurus for little bear. It will probably be a bit advanced for him at Christmas but he may be finding a use for it by next summer.

I had a wander round the German Market as well. I more or less sat on my hands because it was either food which I didn't want to have as I want to lose weight, or it was ornaments and I don't want anything more to dust, or it was wooden toys which were, sadly, just a bit too young for little bear. Typing that I had a lump in my throat. It seems only yesterday that most of them were that bit too old. But I really enjoyed the atmosphere. Then I bobbed into Poundstretcher and bought a waste paper bin, as little bear was sick in the living room one and it was lined with fabric. There was some yarn on sale in Poundstretcher that nearly came into the 1p per gramme category, but I resisted.

So, a morning well spent with the emphasis on spent. Again next week, to start stocking up on the Christmas goodies.

No comments: