Monday 7 November 2011

More school letters

Two letters today, one for a school trip and asking for a 'voluntary contribution'. One reminding us about absences.

I do feel for the school. They are set these targets, and they do their best, but this time of year when schools are mixing up the winter germs, absences must be a real problem. They are pushing the 'no holidays in term time' rule, and, to be fair, I sort of agree with this.

When we were young we used to get a week's family bus pass and have days out all over. We were lucky that the passes covered the beaches of North Wales and the parks and places of Cheshire. We covered vast distances with butties and squash in the bag. If you live in a remote area, it must be difficult, but we live in a very bustling place. Indeed, I plan to be taking little bear all over this summer. I wouldn't dream of taking little bear out of school, and I won't pay summer holiday prices either!

On the other hand I do feel for families who need to get away through difficult circumstances and really can only afford to go away during term time. And I also think that those schools who organise the humungous trips in term time that are more holiday than learning aren't helping either. I seem to remember when I was at school that there was a cruise in term time. Hmm.

No comments: