Sunday 6 November 2011

Sobering thought

Since darling father moved in, the drink levels gradually have increased. OH used to quite often like a rum and coke of an evening, now he likes a whisky and lemondade, shared with darling father. Darling father likes a drink, and at eighty he should have what he enjoys.

As for me, I seem to be having a drink at least once a fortnight, which is a lot compared to this time last year. Of course, I am not taking happy pills at the moment, so that doesn't stop me drinking. If I drink and take happy pills I get an appalling headache, and having alcohol, which is a depressant, while taking antidepressants seems a bit of a waste. Even so, I seem to be having a drink roughly every other weekend and sometimes one midweek!

Even more worrying is the gift list for Christmas. I usually buy something 40% proof for my sister in law, not because she is a binge drinker but because she likes a drink now and again. I quite like the idea of a bottle of wine/spirit/other alcoholic beverage for a gift as I hate buying presents that need dusting. However an awful lot of the gifts that are coming our way are also from the off licence.

For years I have been begging my sister in law for supermarket bubble bath. She spent a lot of thought, and a lot of money, and got me some Gok Wan smellies. They are absolutely gorgeous and the box they came in is now little bear's treasure chest. But they aren't quite me, and I feel guilty after all the effort and money my sister in law spent. So this year I have asked for something nearer 20% proof, like Tia Maria. I've asked for that from a lot of people, actually, so I may get what ought to be a year's supply. But asking for drink.

I think I shall keep an eye on this.

No comments: