Tuesday 15 November 2011

Sleeeeeeep

I am a night owl, to the very bone. I would rather be up at 3am than 6am. Regrettably little bear has other views. He would much rather be up at 6am - or earlier. Though to be fair he sometimes sleeps until 7am. In fact, I believe once that he slept until 8am, but I may be hallucinating that due to lack of sleep.

What is worrying me a little is that little bear isn't really getting enough sleep. He slept on his hand last night so at 5.50am this morning I was woken by 70 decibels of MUMMY!!!!!! and he trotted downstairs complaining about his pins and needles. He insisted on breakfast straight away, but when I came back with his breakfast he was just lying against the chair, as if ready to sleep. He has huge rings under his eyes and is often looking sleepy. But he will not go back to sleep, not for love nor money.

Getting him to bed is usually not a problem, but the timing can be. I have to wait until OH comes in and we have tea, then the night time routine and then he is usually spark out within a few minutes of us leaving him. I find myself skipping baths and hurrying stories just to get him in to bed so he can have enough sleep. If I don't wait for OH, though, and feed little bear earlier, then not only does it get complicated but it also upsets little bear who wants his daddy. And OH comes in around 6.15pm so he will be starving and wanting something before little bear's bedtime routine.

And a lot of advice that I have given myself is not heeded, because at 6am, after a night of being bounced on by evil cat, I am not in a fit state to do anything than at least try and give him a healthy breakfast. And I wouldn't do more than grumble about my sleep rations (tonight it will be impossible for me to go to bed before around 11pm, and last night I was up and down as little bear grumbled in his sleep so I kept going up and putting the bedclothes back on him so a latish night after a bad night) but little bear seems to need more sleep.

He may be waking because he is hungry. He always has his breakfast straight away. However little bear's failure to eat an evening meal properly and the reaction of darling father and OH are another matter altogether. I think tonight I may try Horlicks for him. Surely that can't hurt

No comments: