Friday 10 May 2013

Grammar

I was reading an article about Grammar in the Guardian online here.  I found it desperately depressing.  I didn't know what half of the words meant.  I was educated during the great educational experiments of the seventies and I was never taught grammar.  In fact during my first three years of school I wasn't taught to read or write either.  I was introduced to the whole idea of nouns and verbs aged eleven when I started to learn French.  I have never quite grasped some of the grammatical terms introduced by French either.

It was quite reassuring to find that my regular sin of starting a sentence with 'and' isn't so bad.  Apparently it is okay to boldly split infinitives.  I was drilled never to start a sentence with 'however' but I learned later that actually it is quite acceptable.

My first aim when I write a story is to write something that people can enjoy, with believable characters, interesting plots and room for a reader's imagination.  When it comes to the technical side of writing my general rule of thumb is, 'can someone who has never met me understand what I have written?  Is it clear?  Are there places which are ambiguous?  Is it consistent?  I suspect that using grammar correctly will help me achieve these goals.

I picked up grammar through reading.  I write what I think sounds write, listening to the words.  If I am a writer (and I suppose I am) then I really need to learn these things properly.  It's like a decorator not knowing how to paint a wall.

I think I had better look out for some evening classes.  I am not enthused by the prospect, but I am quite determined.  Can anyone recommend any books?


5 comments:

Janet said...

Eats shoots and leaves (by Lynn Truss I think) could be a good starting point but it is more of a punctuation book than grammar. Only other suggestion is maybe look into doing a basic literacy course at your local college, these should be free. Even if you have a GCSE in English it will help you with bear.

Good luck!

Wannabe Sybil said...

I think the basic course may actually help. I have an A level in Eng Lit, but I did 'O' levels not GCSEs and it has all changed so much. Thank you for the heads up. WS xxx

Morgan said...

Will send you a book I had when I was teaching English to French kids...not sure where it is, so don't hold your breath, but you are very welcome to it when I come across it!

Meanqueen said...

What's an infinitive? I don't know big words. :o)

Wannabe Sybil said...

Meanqueen - all I know is that 'to boldly go where no man has gone before' is a split infinitive. It just shows that TV is educational! Ws xxx