Friday 17 May 2013

It's for research - honest!

As someone who wants to be a writer I do have a habit of looking at things that no respectable person should even consider.

Yesterday bear's daily melt down was because he doesn't want to go to the school disco.  He doesn't want to, it isn't fair, he doesn't know how to dance, it isn't fair and none of his friends are going (and it isn't fair).  I tried to talk about dancing, jigged around a bit to the music that goes with the times tables song we found on you tube and generally tried to be optimistic.  I even looked at 'how to dance' videos on you tube.

All I can say about the how to dance videos that I found is that discos must be a very different place to when I was young.  Also they must be extremely different from when I last went into one in 2005 (works do).  Also they must be extremely different to any I have ever heard about.  Mind you, there was no alcohol involved which may explain a lot.

While I was on you tube I found a video showing how to fold a t-shirt in two seconds.  I quite enjoyed watching it with bear and I had a go while bear supervised.  I shall be doing this each time I iron t-shirts now,  although my t-shirts will probably not have seams straight as they are not expensive at all.  I may put in 'how to' in you tube and see what comes up.

Of course one of the things that I saw on you tube was 'how to pick a lock'.  As an aspiring write I had to look at this, who knows when it will be useful to describe.  It was a yale lock, and I know enough to say it was a five lever action.  However what with how to make a Mickey Finn (research for 'The Forgotten Village') and slow match ('Digging up the Past', out soon I hope, and you wouldn't believe what you can get on ebay) and now how to pick a lock (not yet part of a story but who knows) all I can say is that I hope no-one needs to check my browsing history.

I checked in the playground this morning.  Two of bear's closest friends are going to the disco.  This is not making him happier.

2 comments:

ravylesley said...

When it comes to School Disco's my lot are split down the middle with the oldest and the youngest firmly set against and the middle two who are both girls would go to the opening of an envelope given half a chance.I am a bit of a hermit myself and so can associate with the reluctant ones and don't force them to go.Maybe I am building up problems for later but it seems so cruel to force them to go to a social occasion that I myself would not want to attend if I was in their shoes.But on the plus side there is every chance LB will change his mind several times before the Disco so may yet cheerfully scamper into the School hall and have a marvellous time

Lesleyxx

Wannabe Sybil said...

When I was a teenager I would dance until my feet bled (quite literally at times) DH didn't even dance at our wedding. I think bear takes after his father. I think bear is concerned that he may not win prizes. I shall, as ever, go with the flow. I am getting a lot of practice. Thank you for the support on this, he is driving me crazy! WS xxx