Sunday 19 May 2013

How do you wash a crisp packet?

I googled but without success.  I think you should probably turn them inside out and scrub with lots of washing up liquid, but I couldn't face the risk of tearing them as we haven't eaten that many packets of crisps this weekend.  I did my best and swished them around in hot soapy water and rinsed them out.  They are drying on the tops of wooden spoons and spatulas upright in the cutlery drainer.  I wonder if they would have   been any good in a dishwasher?



btw there is a video clip out there showing how to open a packet of crisps.  Maybe I should video my attempts at washing the crisp packets.  There are some very odd things out there and I am very happy that I am not the oddest.

I have also ironed a perfectly good shirt to go into school to have things done to it.  Bear may not want to wear it but I am confident that it would have done for someone else.  Grumble, grumble grumble.  I think I have the end of a hangover from the Eurovision as I am feeling a bit unimpressed.  I could never really reconcile to pictures made out of pasta and coloured rice either.  I couldn't shake the feeling that it was a waste of food, though I did try my best to be enthusiastic with bear.

Incidentally I can't remember where I read of someone who bought some sturdy sandwich bags and kept reusing them, washing them out every time and drying them on something like my wooden spoon set up.  When my current stash of flimsy ones runs out, around 2015 (on offer for about 50p for 300 at Approved Food years ago, I bought a boatload), I may even try that.  The way prices are hiking up it will probably make sense soon.  I daresay I will also reuse as many bags as is practical.  I am still working my way through a box of envelopes bought in 1998, and I am happy to do so.  Some stashes work.  Others don't.  I will be checking on the stash of soup mix I have, the bags of barley and lentils and stuff.  I think some of that is very elderly and while it may not technically go off in my life time it isn't earning its shelf room.  I'd cook it up and leave it out for the birds if it wasn't for all the rats and cats around.  It's too far out of date to donate.

I've scratched around for the bright side in all this, and the bright side is that I haven't been this prepared for a Monday morning since bear was in Reception, so that is something.  He has new shoes, which is also something.  Also tomorrow I shall go for a long walk and feel better and that is a big something.

6 comments:

menopausalrunninggirl said...

Really funny but I too need to wash crisp packets. They are being carefully collected for an art project my son is doing at school. The only ones that have survived the bin are the smelly cheese and onion and prawn cocktail!

Wannabe Sybil said...

I think you need plenty of soap to cut the grease. What a thing to have to think of! lol! WS xxx

ravylesley said...

I have to ask why do you need to wash them out? Having shrunk many crisp packets over the years mainly for the amusement factor I never washed one of them out.Is this a new Health and Safety directive that I dont know about?

Lesleyxx

Wannabe Sybil said...

RavyLesley - do you know I never thought about not washing them out! I suppose it's token housewifery. I have to have some housewifery somewhere. The whole thing has made me chuckle WS xxx

ravylesley said...

well that must make me a total slattern then as I have never considered washing them out lol

Lesleyxx

Wannabe Sybil said...

It's about the only bit where I have any housewifery at all atm! Actually, waiting to see what happens. It may have been unnecessary work. Story of my life lol! WS xxx