Wednesday 23 February 2011

Compulsory clutterbust

I left the freezer door ajar - I think it was Monday, around thirty six hours ago. I went to get some stuff out tonight and it was icy cold but not frozen.

So after little bear's bedtime routine I am going to empty the freezer, defrost, throw away anything potentially iffy and put all the meat products I can find to defrost properly to be cooked and refrozen as casseroles etc tomorrow.

Little bear has persuaded me the absolute urgency of buying pompoms so on the same trip I will stock up with veggies and do a very basic casserole type thing in slow cooker and two ovens that can be fancied up on reheating. I am trying to remember how many joints/sausages there are. Regardless, that is tea and lunch sorted for the next few days.

It is an excellent chance for me to lose the ice creams and lolly ices from last summer, and to cull the frozen veg that has not been used (or put it in said casseroles). It is a great opportunity to reorganise and list what is really in there. It is a brilliant chance to reassess how I use the freezer and whether I can improve that. But I am mourning the loss of the fish fingers which little bear was once again enjoying. And I hate the waste.

I suppose it could be considered a chance to shop again to refill the freezer, but my heart isn't in it.

1 comment:

Witch Hazel said...

Hi Sybil
It's not a waste. If you cook the meat into meals and freeze them, you've just saved yourself lots of time in the future. As for the lollies etc, they were occupying freezer space (and costing you money to keep them frozen) when they probably wouldn't get eaten for months. You can fill taht space up with something that you WILL use.
Also, as you review what was in there, see how long t had been in there. And make a note of the things that had been in there forever as, once again, keeping such things in the freezer is a false economy. SOunds like it'll be a busy day or two getting it sorted - but what a sense of achievement when it's done!