Saturday 26 February 2011

Grumpy Sybil

I just took some jumble to the Methodists.

Please, please, please will the old dears get the message that I do not want to be on their committees, that I don't want to help sort jumble, that I do not always want to stop in to do x, y or z.

They are lovely, they are elderly and they are persistent. The Knit and Knatter is a case in point. I love knitting, but their knit and knatter is 12 - 2 on a Monday. Little bear is supposed to be at nursery at 1, and after all the fuss and bother I would be lucky to have half an hour there. I would rather go home and surf the internet as I calm down from the fuss or do something useful like clean and clutterbust. Trying to convey that I am permanently exhausted is not working.

Also, darling father is v much in with them.

I'm going to end up sorting jumble.

4 comments:

Morgan said...

Perhaps don't take their persistence personally - I would have thought that they try to get everyone who comes into the building involved, not just you! You know from my blog that we are involved with our local Methodists, and I do see the same sort of thing here. It isn't meant personally - it is a welcoming offer to everyone who comes through the door! I do know from personal experience though, that it is easy to get involved. Just be as persistent in your telling them that you don't have time - you do support them in other ways, I know.

We are slow as a group to get started on this Knit & Knatter thing - we are going to offer it from April and hope that enough ladies come along and knit so that we can raffle a blanket in November - or have some baby hats to give to the local SCBU at Christmas. It might not take off, I understand that.

Wannabe Sybil said...

Morgan, I don't mind welcoming, I do mind having to physically pull my arm away from them. The Knit and Knatter looks great and when little bear is at school looks possible, but I would love to be able to say 'no' without it being a crime...

(bit grumpy today - I know how it works, and I've helped out happily in the past, but I don't want to, and I think I am going to end up doing after all. Sigh) WS x

Ian said...

You'll only end up doing it if you give in. If you don't want to do something, don't do it. If somebody grabs your arm, just tell them you recently dislocated your shoulder and they're hurting you. They'll never do it again! You just need to speak clearly and assertively.

I think it's a very understandable reaction to being 'organised'.

While I support the idea of you going out and getting involved with something - you really ought to be with your peer group rather than women twice your age, however nice they are.

Morgan said...

I'm sorry - I didn't realise that they were as forceful as that!

Saying "No" isn't a crime and I know that it takes a lot sometimes to say it and walk away....

I hope that you are getting through the grumpiness today and feeling better - the sun is shining here today so I hope it is up there too. Take care of yourself, and flex your assertiveness muscle a little!
Hugs xx