Thursday 24 February 2011

Dratted freezer

Witch Hazel - you are, as ever, exactly right. I used the opportunity to get rid of some frozen sprouts and some carrots that I think I bought over a year ago! I really need to do the cooking today, as the fridge is chock full of yogurt - little bear has been poorly therefore I get yogurt in industrial quantities. So there really isn't room to keep the meat until tomorrow.

There will be two or three casseroles, in two ovens and a slow cooker that isn't too bad, and some sausage casseroles as well.

I MUST MUST MUST record all that goes in and out of the freezer. It isn't rocket science and it stops me over ordering or ordering and forgetting.

2am this morning I heard another chunk of ice fall off the freezer. I had a lakeland flood stop down, but it was looking a bit chunky. At 2am my enthusiasm for mopping up was extremely limited. Then I remembered some nappies - I bought them for little bear nearly a year ago, I bought the basics from Sainsburys, but they didn't do well in the night and were deliberately a bit scratchy if I caved and put them on during the day, so they had just been left to one side. Fortunately I hadn't clutterbusted them, and they were brilliant for soaking up the meltwater. I just checked - Asda do 20 smart price size five nappies for £1.43 (price correct at time of typing) which are brilliant for soaking up floods. Obviously a mop and bucket are a cheaper alternative, but for a slow defrost I think they are great. I put some inside the freezer and some on the floor and there has been no flood! It would probably work out cheaper for the half dozen nappies (smartprice) than the washing for all the towels needed to soak up.

I am being dragged into town to buy pompoms for little bear later, and I will pick up veggies then for the casseroles.

No comments: