Tuesday 8 February 2011

Glass!

I need to clear out some glass. We do not have a glass collection around here, OH has to take it to the tip. He hasn't been since before Christmas.

So, all darling father's whisky bottles, the wine bottles and the jars need to go, over a month's worth.

Obviously darling father has not been here for two weeks, but he can easily manage three bottles of whisky per week (with a little help from OH), especially over Christmas or if Liverpool play Chelsea. Then there is wine. We have stumbled on some cheap wine from the local newsagents which tastes absolutely beautiful and is half the normal strength so I don't mind having a glass when I will be on duty for any night waking. And as it costs £3 per bottle, we don't feel guilty if we don't finish the bottle. The freezer is getting quite a few little bags of leftover wine for the next wine flavoured casserole. So that is a few bottles over the last six weeks, as we had this wine at Christmas. Then there are the jars.

I have worked out that it isn't economic to make my own jam, if I have to buy the fruit. Obviously if I get a bargain with fruit or a gift then it may be worth while but the other problem I have with making jam is that I am accident prone and I really don't want to mess with boiling sugar. So I don't save the jars. Little bear has jam, then there are the cooking sauces (I know, I should make my own, and one day I will...) and the paste jars and all the other bits like soy sauce bottles.

So when OH finally gets to the tip it will look like the glass of an alcoholic that lives on Pasta Bake. I am sure no-one would be looking, but I am glad I won't be the one feeding the glass recycling boxes.

2 comments:

ravylesley said...

At least you have the anonymity of the tip we have our empties picked up from outside our house and I often see the binmen giving me that look as they empty shedloads of spirit bottles and beercans into their wagon!

Wannabe Sybil said...

I get 'the look' from the recyclers, as I never remember to do tin cans but there are boxes and boxes and boxes - if it ain't delivered we don't get it lol.

The time I put into recycling over thirty formula tins that I had saved 'just in case' and then realised that it would never happen was another classic. WS x Also, if you only clear out your spirit bottles once a year it's bound to make an impressive performace at the recycling.