Friday 15 February 2013

Guessing and hoping

I bought an inexpensive microwave steamer from my friend, ebay.  It has two tiers, is microwave and dishwasher safe and fits nicely into the microwave.  It did a lovely job of steaming the broccoli and runner beans last night.  I was pleasantly surprised.

I was pleasantly surprised because the only instructions with the steamer were, 'steam vegetables in you microwave'.  There were no guidelines, no hints, no estimations of how long the veg would take, not even a generic so many minutes a pound.

They came out lovely, so I am happy.  I will continue to guess.  About ten minutes for a smallish head of broccoli and about half a pound of runner beans, with a generous amount of boiling water in the bottom.  I think it would work with a 'bowl and strainer and clingfilm' combination, with the clingfilm pierced.

I want to use the microwave more as it is smallish amounts of energy for short periods of time, not like a gas hob.  I also want to use the remoska and slow cooker more.  That's a small way of saving the pennies, but worth something.

No comments: