Wednesday 27 February 2013

Today's dither

Bear is currently extremely fond of ham sandwiches with mayonnaise instead of margarine.  He is having them for breakfast, lunch and supplements when he refuses to eat his dinner.  I am remarkably chilled about this.  I am fairly confident there is less fat in mayo, it certainly spreads thinner and at least the ham is really food.  I have been worrying about his protein intake for bit.  The only thing is that the decent mayonnaise squeezy bottles are a little expensive.  I can and have made home made mayo, but it does taste different to the shop bought stuff.  I really don't want to go down the route of the cheapest mayo, some of them look extremely nasty.

I have just had an email from Approved food.  They have Heinz Mayonnaise in top down squeezy bottles at an extremely inexpensive price.  Mr S has it on sale at £2 for a bottle and the same bottle, with a year left on the expiry date is £1.49 at AF.  

The big question I have is, while I could buy ten of the bottles, save almost the whole of the postage plus pick up any other odds and ends, how long will bear like mayo?  I am reminded of the tomato saga.  When he was tiny he couldn't eat enough of them.  As he grew and we got a bumper crop in the garden, he went off them, now he loves them or possibly not, depending on the direction of the wind.  When bear says that he likes a particular food, OH says that terms and conditions apply.  

I should add that I vaguely humour all this, and do not let him get away with murder.  The same sort of food keeps appearing on his plate and sometimes he eats it and sometimes he doesn't.  I just grit my teeth and carry on.  

So do I put in an order with AF or not?  I think I will check the calorie counter on the back and if it is unexceptional I shall order some.  I quite like lettuce and mayo sandwiches, so that would be a good use for the stuff if the wind changes and bear decides that he only wants cheese with pickle.  

2 comments:

ravylesley said...

Sybs go for it.Mayo is so versatile that no matter how much you buy you will always use it up

Lesleyxxx

Robyn said...

The jars of Mayo are far, far cheaper than the squeezy bottles, and it's easier to get out exactly the amount you want, too. we buy the big jars of Tesco own, which has the advantage of being made with free range eggs, too.
You have a lot of patience with B letting him have sandwiches if he doesn't eat his dinner too - I remember as a child learning very fast that I would go to bed feeling unpleasantly hungry if I chose not to eat what had been provided! ;-)