Monday 18 February 2013

Still shopping

I have decided that the best way for me not to spend money is to do my supermarket shopping online.  I love Morrisons, and Morrisons are not online, but I shall have to deal with that the best I can.

The usual pattern was that I would take bear to his piano lesson, then on to Morrisons.  We would use the discounted shopping vouchers to shop with, then OH would drive us home.  However this little trip involved a lot of impulse buys, a spell in the cafe and a Kentucky on the way home, so it wasn't saving us any money - I have worked out that the taxi fare of around £4 plus tip each way together with judicious online shopping is a lot less expensive.  The yellow sticker policy in Morrisons is also a bit disappointing.

We had already started buying our meat from the farmer's shop before all the neighs of alarm about horsemeat, and while I am not yet getting the most out of my veg box, I will.  Tonight's meatballs with mash and mushroom sauce was partly because I needed to use up the lovely mushrooms.  We are already eating a lot better.  I am considering my options on the one and a half heads of celery plus a large celeriac.  The future has soup in it.

This means that coupons are looking less useful as most I have found cannot be used on line.  And I have found that most coupons still do not bring the cost down to the unadorned and shop's own stuff which is what I prefer.  For me, a coupon rarely saves money.  I feel bitterly let down by this but I shall keep scanning for deals as I may.

I hope to start restricting my use of the supermarket shop.  I won't need much in the fruit and veg line, I won't need much meat, I can buy the wherewithal for bear's sandwich box locally, and I can walk to Makro which is not always cheaper but it does include the walk, and not the delivery charge.  If I can restrict to one shop per month then I will be doing something right.

It is a change in the way I cook and shop that is happening slowly and almost unconsciously.  So far, so good.

No comments: