Thursday 7 February 2013

This horsemeat business

So there has been all this huge amount of news about horsemeat in beef burgers, and horsemeat in ready made lasagne, and to be honest I have just been extremely grateful that it is actual meat and not anything worse.  I don't like the idea that I don't know what I am eating, and I am very grateful that the food inspectors found the horsemeat.

I have been buying a lot of my meat from a local farm shop recently which does its own butchery.  It has not been particularly less expensive but I have had infinitely more taste and quality for my pennies.  I would rather pay for really good sausages than roughly the same for inferior steak.  The only meat I have really been picking up from the supermarket has been the very inexpensive frozen ready to cook mince from Asda which has been quite low in fat and water and has tasted great in my chillis and sauces.  I went to order some from Asda to go with the cat litter that evil cat prefers and the inexpensive whiskey for darling father.  The mince has been taken from the shelves.

We may have been eating Dobbin.

So what on earth do I do with the two packets of perfectly edible, nothing probably wrong with it, won't make us ill, extremely tasty, low fat and water when cooked mince I still have in the freezer?

Actually I have just found a really nice recipe for mince with veggies that need using up from the veg box and scrambled eggs.  I shall consult the men on what they feel about it.  It will be interesting to see exactly how they see it.

4 comments:

Kitty Greene said...

Hi, as a veggie, this doesn't affect me, However, I do have to cook for carnivores occasionally, but have never liked the idea of ready meals anyway, simply because you never know what's in them - a fact that is now being borne out, and have never fed my kids ready meals, so I would usually buy a chicken and cook that up in various ways. I can't afford organic, so I do the best I can.

Wannabe Sybil said...

Wean - I am having less and less ready made stuff, atm mainly good quality sausages. But frozen mince that can be cooked straight from the freezer is a lovely quick ingredient. I shall really miss that. Looking at the price of meat, I see more veggie meals in the future. Not a hardship! WS xxx

ravylesley said...

Oh Sybs the Dobbin comment had me laughing so loudly that Hubby who's sat next to me thought I had finally fallen off my rocker lol

As for the Mince you've been eating it for months so just eat it.Asda are well known for removing stock from sale while they switch suppliers/change packaging/Package weights or prices so there are lots more reasons why it could be missing other than poor old Dobbin has been recycled into your mince

Lesleyxx

Wannabe Sybil said...

Lesley - the mince will be eaten. Though I know what the conversation will be like...
OH - what would you like on your mince?
darling father - five pound each way.

I'm the quiet one of the family!

Glad it made you chuckle! WS xxx