Sunday 10 February 2013

I made a souffle!!!!

I made a souffle and it worked!  I got the recipe from here  which is a site called Cooks.com, which I think is based in North America.  They refer to 4 tablespoons of butter, and so I weighed 4 tablespoons of flour which was also needed and found that they came in at 1.6 oz, so I weighed the same for butter as well.

So it worked, it rose, it tasted lovely, and all the men enjoyed it.  Of course there was a problem - it was a bit smaller than I thought it might be.  We all had a morsel.  It was a very pleasant morsel, but only a small one.  I don't feel hugely confident just scaling up the quantities, so I shall look for another souffle recipe as bear has requested a souffle next week as well.

I have no idea what I did right.

Also next time I will include a substantial salad with it.  And I will be a bit more confident with the seasonings.  I am getting better at the cooking and I am enjoying it.  Friday we had scouse, Saturday dinner was soup from cooking the brisket slowly in the slow cooker with lots of veggies, followed by apple crumble (apples from fruit box that comes with veg box).  Today souffle then later it will be cold meat, mash, broccoli (veg box) and stir fried cabbage (veg box again) and gravy.  Tomorrow is looking remarkably stir fried shaped with any remains of the brisket.  I wonder how long this will last.


2 comments:

Lesley said...

Wow! You are very brave. I have never even attempted a souffle. When I was younger it was known as the downfall of the O-level Domestic Science candidates. I have always kept well clear!

Wannabe Sybil said...

Lesley - it may sound strange, but it wasn't that hard. I suppose I wasn't under exam conditions and I've always been able to make a white sauce, so the only other thing that was tricky was folding in the egg whites. I shall be doing them again, a lot! They are inexpensive even in the days of expensive eggs. WS xxx