Tuesday 12 February 2013

I made pancakes!!!

It wasn't the posh pancakes, but Welsh pancakes which look more like Scotch pancakes or pikelets, and are sweetened.  I did them on my griddle and I had no problems whatsoever.  The smoke alarm stayed firmly off.  I should have more faith in myself.  The recipe I used is here

The instructions in full are:

Ingredients:

  • 2 oz/ 55g butter
  • 15 fl oz/ 450 ml warm buttermilk
  • 10 oz/ 275g all purpose/plain flour
  • 3 oz/ 75g sugar
  • 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
  • ½ tsp salt
  • 1 tbsp vinegar
  • 2 eggs, well beaten

Preparation:

  • Stir the butter into the warmed buttermilk until melted. Gradually pour the milk and butter into the flour and beat well. Leave the mixture to stand (for a few hours if possible)for at least 30 minutes.
  • Stir the sugar, bicarbonate of soda, salt and vinegar into the beaten eggs. Pour this mixture into the flour and milk mixture and beat well to form a smooth batter.
  • Heavily grease a griddle or hot-stone and heat. Drop the batter, a tablespoon at a time onto the heated griddle and bake over a moderate heat until golden brown on both sides, then keep warm. Continue until all the batter is used up.
Spread butter on each pancake and eat while warm. 

I used UHT skimmed milk instead of buttermilk, and baking powder instead of the bicarbonate of soda as I didn't have any bicarbonate of soda in.  I also used the white vinegar that I use for laundry softener, so it just goes to show.  I made loads, and we are all stuffed.  OH had lemon juice on his, bear had both chocolate and strawberry sauce and I just had them as is.  I think they could end up a bit greasy if buttered, but I can imagine they would be quite nice if you like buttery stuff.

I hadn't used my griddle for such a long time, but now I have dug it out and remembered how much I enjoy using it I shall have to start using it more.  It is a really nice griddle, heavy duty, non stick and from Lakeland.

Tomorrow is looking like fish souffle for tea.  I have a recipe from the BBC website.  If it works, I will share.