Friday 22 February 2013

Not a good start to the day

It's one of those bitty mornings, where there are a dozen tiny niggles and nothing further forward.

I got the desk and main PC set up for catching up with A Year's Cookery - and couldn't log in.  I could find my blog, but I couldn't actually find the button to allow me to log in!  Finally, after a wasted hour of clicking and searching, I try another machine - and here I am.  If I want to get on with A Year's Cookery, however, I will have to do a lot of wriggling around and rejigging to unplug, replug and generally fiddle so that I have a typing surface and a place to put the book.

I have a book from 1895 which is called A Year's Cookery, and it is a year's worth of recipe plans in the Victorian style and includes a section on 'Things that must not be forgotten'.  I thought I would put the recipes up and perhaps have some attempts at the recipes and comments.  I have quite a few Victorian cookbooks, and they are very entertaining.  I can continue with this now as I have glasses so can actually see the text, which I couldn't before.

Another good read is 10 shillings a head cook book which has menus and recipes to allow someone to cook for a large family plus servants at 10 shillings, or 50p, per person, per week.  Things have changed a little since then.  Oysters are no longer quite so cheap and you can't get the leg of mutton that is the mainstay of many meals.  Ideas on nutrition have also changed.  Those were the days when you boiled meat for 10 minutes per pound or 500g which would leave it very underdone, but boiled carrots for an hour!

I have a hospital appointment today, just a routine thing, so I think I have probably lost the productive bit of the day messing around because by the time I have got ready, got out, waited for ever, come home and recovered, a lot of the day will have gone.

I am sure I can manage something, though.

2 comments:

Kitty Greene said...

Don't you just hate it when you get all set up and the ***** computer won't co-operate ?
Mornings are definately the most productive part of the day, I find it's hard to get much done after lunch !

Wannabe Sybil said...

Evenings are my most productive - I am definitely a night owl. As bear is a early bird, however, and OH likes my company in the evening, I am short of options. Until I had bear I thought 6.30am was a myth! WS xxxx